Comforting Osso Buco Soup
This osso buco soup recipe is close to my heart. I grew up with this my mum making this soup, although somehow we managed to convince her to take the veggies out after cooking (no way I’d give in to that one lol).
Fast forward to when I understand the importance of veggies. Although this osso bucco soup is not choc full of veggies, there is still a decent amount in this soup and none of the nasties found in those horrible processed supermarket soups.
Before adding any accompaniments this soup is gluten and dairy free and paleo friendly and great for most people with dietary restrictions. This recipe is also great for popping into the freezer to be fished back out on a night you just can’t be arsed cooking. I have been known to make a huge pot of this osso bucco soup and just eat it for days until it’s either gone or I’ve just had so much I can’t bring myself to eat any more.
Warm, comforting and so very very tasty, this soup is the best. Oh and did I mention simple?? 10-15 minutes labour and its simmering away on the stove until the meat is tender….or until you are ready to eat it.
Growing up we served this soup with egg pasta and parmesan, soooooooo yummy though maybe not as good for you as it could be. It can be served with wholemeal or spelt pasta, brown rice or quinoa, but I always find it hard to stay away from the egg pasta, I think its just a psychological thing. Nothing is as good. The parmesan cheese is not optional. Well for you it might be, but not me.
This osso bucco soup is one of those recipes that you don’t really have to worry too much about quantities. Only got 1 carrot or onion, no dramas. You like your osso bucco, awesome, use 3 or 4 pieces. Got some celery that needs using up, chuck it all in. It was actually quite hard for me to write this recipe as this is something I have always just made ad-lib. Bit of this bit of that. So when I decided I would share this soup with you and had to write the recipe I struggled….really struggled. This soup can also easily be made in a slow cooker so it’s ready and waiting when you get home from work. Just brown the meat before adding all the ingredients into the pot, voila.
If you use good quality bought or homemade bone broth this soup is full of gut-loving gelatine and so healing for sick tired bodies struck down with winter loonies. To read more about why bone broths are so fantastic for you check out this post.
You really must make this soup!!!!
Comforting Osso Buco Soup
2 Osso Bucco (approx 600-800g. Grass fed and organic if you can)
2 sticks of celery
2 small or 1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp oil or fat of choice (Olive, lard, tallow etc)
2 Litres Stock, water or a combo of both (Beef would make the most sense but use what you have)
4-5 sprigs of Parsley (I leave whole and pick out at the end)
1 bay leaf
What to Do
- Chop onions, garlic, carrot and celery into neat little cubes or roughly, depending on how you feel
- Heat oil of choice in a large pot, add seasoned osso bucco and cook until browned. Transfer meat to another container
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook until soft
- Add Stock/Water, parsley and bay leaf and return the meat to the pot
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and gently simmer until the meat starts falling apart. If needed skim the top of the soup to remove impurities.
- Remove meat from the pot, shred and return to the pot. Scoop out bone marrow and also return to the pot (It’s excellent for you so if your squeamish just cut it into tiny pieces so you can’t see it)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve as is or with your choice of pasta, rice, quinoa and parmesan cheese
Join our Clean Living Movement
Latest From Instagram
🌱Clean Living Made Simple🌱
Learn. Grow. Shop. Live Healthy
DIY Cleaning and Beauty Recipes & Products