Toxin Free DIY Toilet Cleaner
This DIY toilet cleaner is cheap, easy and most importantly of all low tox. There are no nasty chemicals to be found in this recipe. And to be honest you don’t need them!! This cleaner works just fine and is much better for you and the environment.
There are many chemicals you want to avoid in your cleaning products, a big one being fragrances. These can include so many toxic chemicals and can even be exempt from being disclosed as they can fall under “trade secrets” so you have no way of even knowing what your being exposed to. To learn more check out 6 Reasons to Avoid Synthetic Fragrances. I wanted to share this recipe for those of you who are keen to find and use alternatives.
Make it your way
There are two ways to make this DIY toilet cleaner. You can make it in “bombs” if you like. I find this great to put a few in a jar on the toilet window sill for a quick freshen up. However, as I have two young children and I am all about getting things done quickly I normally skip that step and just put the loose powder in a jar and use a spoon to scoop into the toilet when cleaning. Works just as great. Although sometimes it can go hard, if this happens just smash it up, it does not affect it’s cleaning power.
If you don’t have any essential oils or need to ration them as you don’t have much then they can be left out. They do make the toilet smell nice, but they have little roll in the cleaning (unless you are using something with antibacterial properties like Young Living Thieves essential oil. Even the nice smell doesn’t really last long, it is, after all a toilet.
Silicon moulds work a treat for the bombs as they are easy to remove the finished product from. When I first started making this DIY toilet cleaner I used metal mini muffin tins as that’s all I had around the right size and they were a nightmare.
Toxin Free DIY Toilet Cleaner
2 cups (400g) Bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
2/3 cups (140g) citric acid
40-60 drops essential oils (optional)
Vinegar or water (only required if making bombs)
What to Do
- Mix the Bicarbonate of soda, citric acid and essential oils if using in a bowl (10 secs sp 6 if making in a thermal appliance).That’s all if you’re going for the quick option. Pop the loose powder in an airtight container and you’re done
- Spray (or sprinkle) a small amount of water or vinegar into the bowl and mix well. Continue adding small amounts and mixing until it clumps together when squeezed in your hands.
- Press firmly into moulds
- Dry overnight
- Release from mould and store in an airtight container
How to use
- Place 1-2 spoonfuls or bombs into the toilet and wait a few minutes
- Scrub toilet bowl with a brush
- Wait another few minutes (if you have them) then flush
Products You Might Like….
Join our Clean Living Movement
Latest From Instagram
🌱Clean Living Made Simple🌱
Learn. Grow. Shop. Live Healthy
DIY Cleaning and Beauty Recipes & Products