Easy Foaming Soap Recipe
There are hundreds, possibly thousands of DIY foaming soap recipes around the place. You may already be making your own hand and body soap? If you aren’t you really should give it a try, you won’t look back I can promise you that! This was one of the first steps towards healthier living that I made and such a great place to start as it is so super simple and you don’t miss the old stuff at all.
Why would you want to switch from your store brand to homemade? The skin is the largest organ in the body, absorbing everything that comes into contact with it. This then makes us question what we are putting onto our super absorbing skin. The most common and frequently used product applied to the skin is soaps. Store brought soaps lace their products with a number of toxic chemicals which include:
- Synthetic Fragrances – most contain phthalates which cause disruption to your endocrine system (read hormonal chaos) check out our blog 6 reasons to avoid synthetic fragrances
- Parabens – mimics estrogen in your body and causes hormone imbalances, combine with synthetic fragrances and you have a hormonal shitstorm brewing. The body can react to these abnormal hormone levels by decreasing muscle mass, increasing fat deposits, causing onset of early puberty and reproductive issues in both men and women just to name a few!
- SLES/ Sodium Laureth Sulfate – derived from petroleum or palm oil and is a known carcinogen. May be contaminated with carcinogenic compound 1,4 dioxane or ethylene oxide.
- SES/Sodium Lauryl Sulfate – derived from petroleum or palm oil. When not formulated properly it can be an irritant to the skin. Can penetrate the skin and accumulate in vital organs. Toxic to aquatic animals
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine – synthetic surfactant that may be petroleum or coconut derived. Health concerns include skin reactions, dermatitis and suspected immunotoxicity
- Triclosan – a toxic antibacterial. Consider for a minute we are made of 10x more bacterial cells than human cells. This makes it a no brainer, even if we forget the fact it has been deemed no better than soap and water by the FDA and don’t mind about the formation of carcinogenic chloroform gas when it comes in contact with water…
We are washing ourselves and our families every day, washing hands every toilet trip and several times in between. So it makes total sense to make sure we aren’t building up a toxic chemical hormone cocktail inside our bodies! With minimal government testing on these products and chemicals, it’s up to us as the consumer to be more aware and make better choices for ourselves.
As mentioned, replacing your hand and body wash can be a great place to start your low-tox journey. You can begin by refilling foaming bottles you already have when they run out or replace them with new ones like our 375ml foaming bottles or our glass and metal 500ml foaming dispensers. Either way, you don’t have to go throwing away $ on the soap you still have left, unless of course, that’s something you want to do! We are realists and have struggling families ourselves so we know money can be tight and everyone moves at different rates, we embrace it all! The absolute best part of making your own in my opinion is the flexibility to make it smell different for every room in the house! I love a citrus vibe for my hand soaps in my toilets and kitchen. When it comes to showering I like a smell that has a more calming and relaxing feel.
When I replaced the soaps in my home I knew very little about how the soap I was using was bad for me and my family. I didn’t really comprehend the enormity of what I was doing for our health. I started to think about the skin as an organ and appreciate its absorbing properties, only then did I realise what a positive move this was. We use this shit over ourselves every single day over and over again, feeding it to our bodies through our skin. It still amazes me that we can even buy this stuff considering the growing research around the negative health effects these toxins have!!
Easy Foaming Soap
1/3 cup / 85g Castile Soap
1/2 tsp / 2g Oil (Oil of your choice Fractionated Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, avocado oil ect)
15 Drops Essential Oils (Optional)
Distilled or Cooled Boiled Water
1/2 cup / 125g Castile Soap
1 tsp / 4g Oil (Oil of your choice Fractionated Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, avocado oil ect)
20-40 Drops of Essential Oil (Optional)
Distilled or Cooled Boiled Water
What to Do
- Place Castile Soap, Oil of choice and Essential Oils into your foaming bottle and shake gently
- Top up with your water
- Foam away!
This recipe gives you a luxurious foam due to the larger amounts of Castile Soap used. If you are super frugal or have kids who love pumping it down the sink you can drop the amount. It’s possible to use just 2 tbsp/30g in a 250ml bottle, or 3 tbsp/45g in a 375ml bottle.
Products You Might Like….
Join our Clean Living Movement
Latest From Instagram
🌱Clean Living Made Simple🌱
DIY Cleaning and Beauty Recipes
DIY supplies & Low tox products